Monday, January 5, 2009

Science Fair Information

Greetings Parents, Students, and Friends,

I hope all of you have recovered from the new year festivities and are ready to jump back into school. I know I am (NOT!). I am looking forward to the rest of the year with this great group of students and am ready to tackle some new challenges.

Your child should have brought home information about the science fair today. All fourth and fifth graders are required to participate. Projects should be experiments and not demonstrations. For example, what design makes the best paper airplane is testable and therefore an experiment. How an engine works is a demonstration.We will discuss the elements of the science fair in class so that students are informed as to what to do on their projects.

All students will need a demonstration board to display their project. They are available at many stores including Michael's, Wal-Mart, Office Max, etc for under $10. Please get one soon so you can begin to plan your display. An attractive board can greatly benefit a project. If cost is a problem, please contact me and we will work together to find a solution.

There are many online resources that can help you with the science fair. Our class wiki (linked on the right) has many ideas to help you. If you simply search Google or any other search engine for science fair projects, thousands of links will come up. Make sure your child picks one of interest to them and that they can do mostly on their own. There should be minimal parent help.

Boards will be displayed in the school science fair. Students are expected to present a short presentation to the class about their project. Important dates are listed in our class calendar, also linked to the right.

Please leave a comment if you have any questions and I will answer them as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Mitch Miller

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The science fair is coming and I am alittle bit scared about it.

Kristen B. said...

I am in Mrs.Smith class and I am already thinking about my science fair project and I already know what it is.